Saturday, January 03, 2009

John 10: 10 "I came so that [you] might live, and live abundantly!"



From today's Morning Prayer, John 10:7-17, which contains one of the key summary verses from John, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." Also can be translated, "I came so that YOU might live, and live abundantly." Quite some words to live by! John's gospel makes it clear that Jesus came from the Cosmos to live among us, to be "incarnate" - to be "enfleshed" here amidst us, coming from the Father, but now amidst and among and within us. And, because of his work on the cross, to follow God obediently, Jesus has taken up our failings, our brokenness, our hurt, our sin, and we are left with the promise of an abundant life here on earth, and a fuller abundant life in the beyond that Jesus has opened up for us. "I have come so that YOU might LIVE, and LIVE ABUNDANTLY." In these days of "New Year's Resolutions," of handwringing over the economy, of strange hope in the new year based on wordly leaders taking power, we would do well to remember that Jesus came so that we might have abundant lives, and so that we might have these abundant lives NOW, beginning NOW, and no New Year's resolutions are needed to receive this gift.
What would this mean in our family lives? What would this mean in our work? What would this mean in our giving to others? What would this mean for the Church? What would this mean for our local churches? What would this mean for the Anglican Communion (whatever, indeed, that is?)? What would this mean for racial reconciliation? What would this mean for our work for peace with justice? What would this mean for the stewardship of creation?

"I came that they [you] may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:10
I pray that we all will have the eyes to see and the ears to hear these words so that we can receive the gift of abundant lives today, and in this New Year, and in every year!
Peace and Blessings,
~ Rev. Peter M. Carey


John 10:7-17 (NRSV)
7So again Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who came
before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate.
Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. 10The thief
comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it
abundantly. 11'I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
12The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming
and leaves the sheep and runs away-and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13The
hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14I am the good
shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know
the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that do not belong to
this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock,
one shepherd. 17For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to
take it up again.

No comments: