Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Still haven't found what I'm looking for - Bono and Rowan Williams




So, I'm sitting in the local St. Arbucks, and reading my Rowan Williams book and listening to the ipod, and I happen to run across probably the most profound paragraph that I've read in quite awhile, and as I began to read it, what should come up on the Ipod but U2's "I still haven't found what I'm looking for," from the Joshua Tree Album. It's worth reading a few times, and after you read it, you should go and buy the book it's from: "Wrestling with Angels: Conversations in Modern Theology," by Rowan Williams (edited by Mike Higton).

~ Peter Carey

Better yet, you should listen to U2's "Still haven't found what I'm looking for" while you read it...what do you think?

"We can only be at home in the world when we have given up the search for that thing, that person, that set of circumstances that will secure our existence, guarantee our being at home. To know that the world world as necessity, as utterly and finally other than my will, as incapable of sustaining my love (in the form toward which my love aspires, the form of unconditionality) is the necessary condition of loving the world. I love the world properly only when I have found 'evil', resistance to my gratification, in every determination of the world. As Weil repeats so many times, God is found only in the experience and the understanding of divine absence, which is also the experience of the impossibility of love in the world. 'The appropriate object for love' is the sole subject of love - that which is not the world, which is not 'there', God."

No comments: