Friday, March 06, 2009

"Putting flowers in his hair?"...Bishop Lee going to Grace Cathedral, San Francisco to serve as Interim Dean...

from The Diocese of Virginia today...




A Letter from Bishop Lee

March 6, 2009

Dear Friends,

When I announced my resignation as bishop at January’s Annual Council, I said I was considering new steps in my ministry. I have now accepted the call of Bishop Andrus of California to serve as interim dean of Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, after I have resigned as Bishop of Virginia on October 1, 2009.

While I will depart Virginia with sadness at leaving so many whom I love, I am excited and challenged by the call to serve at one of the nation’s primary urban cathedral churches.

I began ordained ministry at an urban cathedral, St. John’s in Jacksonville, Florida, and I have spent many years emphasizing the diversity and continuity of our Anglican tradition which are so well expressed in a cathedral’s ministry.

After a year or so of cathedral ministry, Kristy and I expect to retire in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where we were living when I was elected Bishop in Virginia.

I look forward to these next seven months together as we all prepare for the next chapters of our service to the Lord and the church.

Faithfully yours,

Bishop Lee

Peter James Lee

3 comments:

Cany said...

I'm not from SF, but a rural area of so cal instead, but let me be the first to welcome you!

SF is such a vibrant and exciting place! I hope you love it.

Blessings to you!

santospopsicles said...

Cany,

Just to be clear, I am not Bishop Lee, the letter I posted was from the Diocese of Virginia's website...I am proud to serve as a priest in the Diocese of Virginia, but it is Bishop Peter Lee who will be the interim dean at Grace Cathedral, San Francisco...

Peace and Blessings,

Peter Carey+

Cany said...

Yes, I knew that and mistyped... but nonetheless, glad he is coming:)

Thank you for clarifying.