Thursday, July 08, 2010

Our way . . .God's dwelling



Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling.

~Psalm 43:3

In the Opening Sentence of Morning Prayer in the Book of Common Prayer, one finds this sentence, "Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling."  I have often opened prayer with this sentence, and in my time as a school chaplain, every day began with prayer with the school community.  These words were very often on my lips as the day began.  "Send out your light and your truth...."

And, I wonder about this "holy hill" and this "dwelling"...is the psalmist talking about the heavenly realm, the "dwelling" of God in the heavens?  Or, is the psalmist talking about the Temple in Jerusalem, the "dwelling" of God here on earth.  Or, is the psalmist affirming God's presence and God's "dwelling" wherever God chooses to lead us, by God's light and truth?  There is rich tradition affirming each of these understandings, and perhaps the sense of God's dwelling is not limited, perhaps God's dwelling includes all possibilities.

What is clear is that God does lead us, by light and truth, and that the way to God's "holy hill" and his "dwelling" is open to us ....

Blessings as we make our way to God's dwelling, and blessings as we make our way God's dwelling, today.

~The Rev. Peter M. Carey