Monday, July 26, 2010

Sustain me



How do we understand the work that we do every day?  Are we working to accumulate money, worth, value, the ability to buy stuff?  Are we working in order to reach some goal, perhaps "the American Dream"?  Why do we work?  Towards what are we working? 

The work that we are doing can be in harmony with the work and will of God.  Even the words we speak, as we open our lips and speak words from the start of the day until its close; these words can be words of hope, of proclamation of good news, of encouraging the weak, of love for the lonely, of inspiration for the apathetic.  Our work and our words can be in sync with the Word of God, always active, always inspiring, always activating our lives.

Our work and our words that may begin early on a Monday morning take many forms, getting the family dressed and fed, getting ourselves off to work, setting out goals for the day, caring for loved ones, visiting those who are sick or in prison, going to meetings where tough decisions are made, interacting with difficult people, listening to the troubles of friends, getting some exercise.  Our work and our words have to take many forms, but if we reflect upon and practice the sense that our work and words are activated by God, and that our very lives are gift from God, we may get into harmony with the great transformative work that God is doing in the world.  "Open my lips, O Lord, and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.  Create in my a clean heart O God, and renew a right spirit within me."  Even, and especially, in our dealings that do not feel godly or deep or spiritual we might turn our hearts to God, and ask for the Lord to activate our lives.

"Sustain me with your bountiful spirit."

~The Rev. Peter M. Carey

From Psalm 51
 
Open my lips, O Lord, *
          and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, *
          and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence *
          and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again *
          and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
          as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

No comments: