Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Abide in God's love



Jesus prays to the Father in John 17:20-26, and gives us a model of how we might also pray to God.  The theme, as I see it, in this prayer is of love and oneness.  Just as Jesus and the Father are one, so also we should be one, of one mind, of one heart, not so separated and alienated from each other, but one.  And the basis of this oneness is love, just as God the Father loves God the Son, so also God's love pours out into us, and we have only to look to the deep wells within us to find the love that God has placed within our very souls.  Jesus prays to the Father, and asks that we might all be one, and be united through God's love.  So, shouldn't love be the litmus test of what we do, of what we are, and of what we desire?  Shouldn't we not "sweat the small stuff" unless it comes to the living out a life of love towards one another?  Abide in God, abide in Christ, look deep to the wells of love that have been placed within us!

~The Rev. Peter M. Carey



John 17:20-26 (NRSV)
20 "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
25 "Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."

No comments: