Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Chaplain Peter Carey



As Chaplain, I serve as a pastor, a priest and a teacher for our school community. I serve as a chaplain to every member of our community, regardless of background, faith tradition or perspective. Founded as an Episcopal School, Berkeley Preparatory School has welcomed students from all faith traditions and perspectives from the beginning. At Berkeley, we are blessed with a rich religious diversity and we believe that every member of our community brings important gifts to our community. Serving as chaplain in this community offers me a wonderful opportunity to minister to a wonderful diversity of people and I am blessed to serve in this way in this place.


As a Pastor, I offer pastoral care to our students, faculty, staff and families. I serve as a member of the Student Support Team, made up of counselors and student support staff. In addition, I serve as the Chaplain to the Administration Team and the Board of Trustees.
As a Priest, prayer is at the root of my work to care for students and other members of our community. Many of our meetings and gatherings begin with prayer or blessings, which offer a reminder about our gratitude for all that we are, and all that we have. In addition, I offer private prayers for our community members in need on a daily basis. Please be in touch with me if you have particular prayer requests. In addition, I design worship experiences in which our community celebrates, remembers and strives to live lives of hope and purpose. I lead the Chaplain’s Councils in each of our three divisions, whose purpose is to help lead and guide our interfaith convocations.


As a Teacher, I teach in the History and Religious Studies department and I currently coach boys’ lacrosse. Within the community, I also teach students, faculty and parents about the Episcopal tradition, and often give homilies in all three divisional convocations.
Berkeley is a tremendous place to be, and I am blessed to work with so many dedicated colleagues and such vibrant children and young adults. Welcome and Blessings!
Chaplain Peter Carey

No comments: