Thursday, December 11, 2014

Wonderful news for the Diocese of Virginia: Bishop Johnston will not seek to be Presiding Bishop!

This is wonderful news for the Diocese of Virginia: Bishop Johnston will not seek to be Presiding Bishop, which means he will remain as the Bishop of Virginia!


A Letter from the Bishop: Speculation on Presiding Bishop Nomination

12/10/2014
Dear Diocesan Family,

Over the past few months, there have been various news reports, both in print and online, that have named me as a possible candidate for nomination as our next Presiding Bishop. Since those reports have circulated, I and my diocesan staff have understandably received numerous questions and comments about my possible candidacy. Since these questions have persisted up until this time, I am writing to you to set the record straight and end any speculation or concerns.
XIII Bishop of Virginia


While it is true that some of my colleagues in the House of Bishops encouraged me to allow my name to go forward in the search process, and my name was submitted to the Committee, I am very clear and comfortable in my decision not to participate in this discernment. Therefore, I will not be considered as a possible nominee.
Given that the colleagues who encouraged me in this are people whose confidence in me and friendship I value so greatly, I approached this decision very deliberately and prayerfully over a period of time. In the end, the answer was clear; I am convinced that I was called and ordained to be Bishop of Virginia, and I intend to fulfill this great trust, privilege and responsibility for many years to come.
There is no question that the search process for our next Presiding Bishop will be well served, not only by the very fine Committee that is conducting it, but also by a number of exceptionally strong potential nominees. That Committee and all who are in this discernment will be in my daily prayers, and I ask you to include them in your own as well.
I could not ask for anything more than I already am blessed with in being bishop of this great diocese. Serving the Gospel through the ministry of bishop in this iconic place with you is the greatest honor and joy that I could ever know.

Faithfully yours,


The Rt. Rev. Shannon S. Johnston

No comments: