Thursday, October 09, 2008

Discerning God's Delight, Rev. Dr. Mark McIntosh at VTS









I was at VTS the last couple of days and heard two wonderful lectures and two wonderful discussions on the topic of "Discerning God's Delight," given by the Rev. Dr. Mark McIntosh, professor at Loyola University, Chicago and former chaplain to the House of Bishops. His lectures laid out some of his project which includes delving deeply into the patristic and medieval traditions in order to glean a way or a process by which we might discern God's will, and discern God's delight. It was an extremely rich discussion, and I am taking some time to read my notes, and reflect upon it. I am thankful for the opportunity to hear his lecture, to have my imagination and mind stretched by it, as well as by the responses by the Rev. Dr. Kate Sonderegger and Dr. Kathy Staudt, two of my favorite teachers and mentors. I will write more, soon, on this wonderful topic, "Discerning God's Delight," but in the meanwhile, I am so grateful for the time at VTS, and for these great teachers of theology.

What would our days look like if we spent time each day just reflecting on what it is that God's will might be for us each day? What might our days look like if we could embrace the sense that God delights in us!?


~ The Rev. Peter M. Carey

No comments: