Sunday, September 06, 2015

Gotta love the dean of my seminary, Ian Markham!!





9/4/2015
Arriving back at my office late yesterday afternoon, I found a rather large R2D2 sitting in my seat.  With Star Wars 7 being released in December of this year and the trailer being revealed today, it was a rather strange moment.  I wondered for a moment whether VTS was caught up in a massive pre-release promotion (perhaps every President had R2D2 on their office seats).

R2D2 became a feature for the evening.  He(?) sat in the doorway of the Deanery as Faculty and spouses arrived for the start of the academic year dinner.  The Faculty had spent the afternoon together discussing everything from the Consecration to Assessment; we resume our deliberations this morning.

The first Faculty meeting of the academic year is always a moving occasion.  We share our news since the last time we gathered as a Faculty in May.  It is always moving as moments of celebration are shared (for example, the publication of a book) to moments of sadness (the loss of a loved one or the struggle with illness).  God has called us together as the Faculty of Virginia Theological Seminary to serve the mission of this place; and we bring the journeys of all our lives to this service.  For my colleagues, on this day, I am deeply grateful.  

The Very Rev. Ian S. Markham, Ph.D.
Dean and President

No comments: