Saturday, August 20, 2011

Who you say that I am?

Sermonating on Saturday ... not the ideal, but there has been a lot bubbling this week on these readings!



Jesus asks, "Who do you say that I am?"

If we reflect deeply on this question and find the answer, we may see that what is demanded of us is far more than we previously thought.  Our image of Jesus relates deeply to our image of the Church, and whether we are "stepping up" into the life that Christ has made for us.  This was not a mere rhetorical question; Jesus was (and is!) trying to get his disciples to enter deeply into the Jesus Way.

How does Eugene Peterson's paraphrase from the Message hit you?


Who do you say that I am?

“Who do you say that I am?” 
Simon Peter said, “You’re the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 
Jesus came back, “God bless you Simon, son of Jonah! You didn’t get that answer out of books or from teachers.  My father in heaven, God himself, let you in on the secret of who I really am.  And now I’m going to tell you who you are, really are.  You are Peter, a rock.  This is the rock on which I will put together my church, a church so expansive with energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out.” 
“And that’s not all.  You will have complete and free access to God’s kingdom, keys to open any and every door: no more barriers between heaven and earth, earth and heaven. “
Here's a word cloud of my sermon so far...



courtesy of www.wordle.net

No comments: