Thursday, December 06, 2012

He rescued me because he delighted in me




Psalm 18:17-20

He reached down from on high and grasped me;
  he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
  and from those who hated me;
  for they were too mighty for me.
They comforted me in the day of my disaster;
  but the LORD was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;
  he rescued me because he delighted in me.


"The Lord was my support. He brought me out into an open place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."  The Lord delights in us, not only does God love us, but actually delights in us.  This can be difficult to remember at times, but if we do, we realize that we are made in the image of God and that God, himself, is joyous because of us.  Really!  The likes of us.

In Psalm 18, the psalmist is being assaulted on every side.  The only hope is the Lord, who is "crag and stronghold."  In the midst of these difficulties, the psalmist comes to a place of extreme trust and awareness of God's grace and God's compassion.  Even in the midst of this terrible situation, the psalmist comes to that deep knowledge that God is not only loving and caring, but also is delighting in God's people!

How might we live differently if we truly felt the truth that God delights in us; is joyful because of us!?

~Peter

Loving God, you pour out your Spirit upon us, and you rescue us when we are stuck; you are our crag and our stronghold in the mist of our difficulties.  Let us feel the deep love that you have for us, and for the remarkable ways that you delight in us! Amen.

No comments: