Tuesday, December 04, 2012

In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice




Psalm 5:1-4
Give ear to my words, O LORD; 
consider my meditation
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God, 
for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; 
early in the morning I make my appeal and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness, 
and evil cannot dwell with you.

There is something about the morning and prayer. Of course, prayer can (and should) happen at any and all times.  However, the quiet of the morning, when the world seems to be awakening seems to be a rich time for prayer, at least for me.

In Psalm 5, the psalmist makes a cry to God for help, and it is in the morning that God hears this voice. It is early in the morning when the psalmist makes an appeal and watches for God.  So, too, it seems for me.  In the midst of the darkness of the night we can be awakened by dreams or concerns, by worries and thoughts, but when light comes it feels to me like God has heard these prayers, these dreams, concerns, worries and thoughts.  In the early morning I see the pink sky before I can even see the Sun.  In the morning we may see signs that God is with us, even before we can really grasp it with our rational brains.

Do you take time to pray?  Do you ever find time in the morning to "cry out for help"?  Do you ever find time in the morning to "make your appeal and watch" for God?

This season of Advent is one that is imbued with the theme of darkness and light, of night and day, of the expectation and the preparation for God's celestial light to break in among us and within us.  These weeks of Advent are something like that time before the sun arises, but when there are glimpses of the light even in times of darkness.  God is showing us signs and wonders even in our own time, even where we are now, if only we would have eyes to see and ears to hear.

~Peter

God, in the early morning I make my cry to you, and you hear my appeal.  In the midst of darkness, you allow light to shine, in the midst of sadness, you bring joy, in the midst of scarcity you give us an abundance of light and love.  Allow me to have eyes to see your many wonders.  Amen.



No comments: