25 November 2010

Eucharist on the moon

I've heard this story before, but my mind is deep into the significance of Thankgiving and Eucharist - "eucharisto" which means thanksgiving today.  Did you know that Buzz Aldrin took communion on the moon?

~The Rev. Peter M. Carey




Buzz Aldrin, the second astronaut to set foot on the moon:
"I unstowed the elements in their flight packets. I put them and the scripture reading on the little table in front of the abort guidance-system computer. Then I called Houston: 'Houston, this is Eagle ... I would like to request a few moments' silence. I would like to invite each person listening in to contemplate for a few moments the events of the past few hours, and to give thanks in his own individual way.'
For me, this meant taking communion. In the blackout I opened the little plastic packages which contained bread and wine. I poured wine into the chalice my parish had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon, the wine curled slowly and gracefully up the cup. It was interesting to think that the very first liquid ever to be poured on the moon, and the first food eaten there, were consecrated elements."

1 comment:

Ann said...

Thanksgiving for this!