Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Advent (Blog) Calendar - December 1


Well, it's Advent, and for me, it began with a bit of a bang, as it also coincides with two new classes to teach, chapel services to lead and preach at in all three divisions, and a few extra meetings, all this while trying to get "back into the swing" after the relaxing Thanksgiving Holiday.

There are some wonderful resources out there on Advent. I found Rowan Williams' Advent Message on Youtube this year to be particularly wonderful, and I have watched it a few times. The Diocese of Washington is presenting its annual online Advent Calendar, and you can check out Episcopal Cafe for some wonderful other resources.


What I offer here for Advent is a blog recommendation each day of Advent. I am already a day behind, so I will offer the December 1st recommendation here today.


December 1st - "JimsBlog"

The Rev. Dr. James Somerville is the pastor of the First Baptist Church here in Richmond, Virginia. I ran across his blog the other day and think that he has some wonderful reflections on the church, the Bible, and the ways that Faith comes to life in the everyday. He has posted some of his sermons which are just excellent, and I have enjoyed reading his writing. The last few days he has reflected upon the question of what our church will look like in 50 years. Do check out his blog: http://jimsomerville.wordpress.com/


~ The Rev. Peter M. Carey

No comments: