Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In my humble opinion, "If you're a bishop, it's really ok to do a Christian prayer, people will understand"


First, I was really happy that the President-Elect chose Bishop Gene Robinson to offer a prayer...then, I read the New York Times..."this will not be a Christian prayer," says the Bishop.

In my humble opinion, "If you're a bishop, it's really ok to do a Christian prayer, people will understand"
...and, "exactly what is happening when you offer an inter-religious prayer, anyway?"

Free advice, and I know you do get what you pay for...

I just get kinda bummed that our leaders seem like we have to apologize for our beliefs, could this be why the Episcopal Church is losing membership?

~ The Rev. Peter M. Carey


Bishop Gene Robinson quoted in the New York Times

Bishop Robinson said he had been reading inaugural prayers through history and was “horrified” at how “specifically and aggressively Christian they were.”

“I am very clear,” he said, “that this will not be a Christian prayer, and I won’t be quoting Scripture or anything like that. The texts that I hold as sacred are not sacred texts for all Americans, and I want all people to feel that this is their prayer.”

Read it all HERE



I'm glad other people, who spoke in this location, have chosen to quote from the Bible, such as MLK, Jr.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I am right there with you Peter. When I heard this my initial response was anger. Now it deeply saddens me. He is a Christian bishop, he should say a christian prayer, simple enough. I can already hear the naysayers. It gives more fuel to the anti-episcopal firestorm. This is an embarassment. I wish he would change his mind.

At least the atheists will be happy with his "prayer." sad day for our church in my mind

it's margaret said...

I am with you too Peter. Why pray as a Christian if not as a Christian? I am not sure even athiests will be happy.... I know I am very disappointed.

Thanks for sayin' so.

Peter Carey said...

I just heard +Gene say, "No one had a bigger tent than Jesus", on MSNBC, awesome! I really like that. I hope he feels ok mentioning Jesus, or some piece of Scripture. I believe he is deeply Faithful, and would love for him to show this, and not water something down...but, we shall see.

Peter+