Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Who's in?



Far too much time can be spent trying to decide "who's in, and who's out."  Who will start on the team?  Who will be invited to the party?  Who will make the final art show?  Who is really loved by God?

The reality is, we are not the ones who get to choose when it comes to God.  It is true that reams of theological papers have been used to try to decide who might really be the true church, who might really be counted among the holy, who might really receive the riches of eternal life.  However, it isn't really ours to decide, and it isn't really ours to even know God's thoughts on the matter.

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said, "God bless the whole world, no exceptions," and it got me thinking.  Surely it is a reaction to bumper stickers which tend to claim that God will only bless me (and those who think, look, and act like me).  God's embrace is surely more mysterious and wider than my feeble imagination.

As a creature, as one who was created, I am dependent upon the creator, my whole existence is contingent upon another's actions.  My energy can quickly be wasted wondering about who will make the final team.  My energy, our energy, can be better spent being and acting in ways that help to transform this world, in which we are now living, to try to bring hope and joy and the good news of Christ to this hurting world.

~The Rev. Peter M. Carey

For Mission  (from the Book of Common Prayer)

God, you have made of one blood all the peoples of the earth, and sent your blessed Son to preach peace to those who are far off and to those who are near: Grant that people everywhere may seek after you and find you; bring the nations into your fold; pour out your Spirit upon all flesh, and hasten the coming of your kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

2 comments:

Daniel Weir said...

Thanks for the post, although it brought to mind a paraphrase of something Groucho Marx wrote - I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member. That's a reminder that using my standards to say who's in and who's would one day lead to my being out. I'm thankful that God doesn't use my standards.

吳怡君吳怡君 said...

Learning makes a good man better and ill man worse.............................................................