Sunday, April 24, 2016

Steve Pankey on The Problem with John's Revelation

My friend, Steve Pankey on the problem with the Revelation according to John...(perhaps not the only problem with this strange book of the Bible...but a good read!

Read his wonderful posts at Draughting Theology.

~The Rev. Peter Carey


The Problem with John’s Revelation

Easter season in Year C of the lectionary brings with it a six week jaunt through John’s Revelation.  Since we are coming up on the fifth Sunday of Easter, I’m a bit late in bringing this to your attention, but maybe set a reminder for Lent 2019 with the note, “prayerfully consider a preaching series on Revelation during Eastertide.”  I suspect you won’t follow through on it, but you might.  Our people hear so much garbage about Revelation(s) in the popular religious culture, that it might behoove us to give them some decent eschatological theology once every three years or so.  I might consider such a preaching series the next time Year C rolls around, but I’ll have to spend some serious time working through a fundamental flaw in John’s Revelation that we will hear this Sunday.
As John describes the new heaven and the new earth that God will establish after Satan is finally defeated, he notes only one key characteristic:
the sea was no more
I am not a big fan of sand.  I don’t particularly enjoy spending a day sitting on the beach, but even I can appreciate the beauty of the waves crashing against the shoreline.  My children have grown up with the Gulf of Mexico coursing through their veins...

Read the rest HERE
11953392_10153537557763449_7848669639052725985_o
Read it all HERE

No comments: