
Mike Higton, a theologian and writer who has written a book on Rowan Williams, (Difficult Gospel) and has edited a book of Rowan Williams' essays (Wrestling With Angels) has written a helpful analysis of the Archbishop of Canterbury's recent comments about Sharia Law.
I've posted his introduction to these comments and you can find his entire post HERE.
Thanks to Mike Higton for this helpful work!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rowan Williams and Sharia: A Guide for the Perplexed
The stir surrounding Rowan Williams’ recent lecture on ‘Civil and Religious Law in England‘ has been quite incredible - not least for the depth of misrepresentation that has shaped so many of the responses. I doubt there’s anything much I can do to change that, but just in case there’s anyone still listening I’d like to offer four things:
- a very brief summary of what I take to be Williams’ main point;
- a slight longer summary of some of the key arguments;
- a fairly detailed analysis of the whole lecture; and
- (at some point in the next couple of days) a few comments on questions about Williams’ strategic and political judgment.
One quick comment before I begin, prompted by a couple of e-mails I’ve had in the last few days. I’m not any kind of official spokesman for the Archbishop. Although I have written one book on him, and edited a book of his essays, we’ve met (I think) only three times, and not at all since 2003, and the last contact I had with him was a brief exchange of e-mails after the publication of Wrestling with Angels. What follows is simply my take on what Williams said, based entirely on what I know of his public statements. So apologies to anyone looking for behind the scenes insights - you won’t find them here.
Read the rest over at Mike Higton's blog.... HERE.
No comments:
Post a Comment