Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The moment


This is the second summer that I am spending in New York City so that my wife can finish the coursework for a graduate degree at Columbia University. So, during the day, it is my job to watch our 3 kids in the city. Today, we went to Riverside Park, not too far from Riverside Church to one of many terrific playgrounds in this city. The "agenda" (if you could call it that when you are dealing with kids under 6) was to go to the playground, then to check out St. John the Divine Cathedral, and (if I felt ambitious) attend the 12:15 Holy Eucharist (I know this would be a bit hard with the three kiddos, but I feel the need to go to church.)

So, we started out to the playground, with the three kids on the stroller and made it to the playground pretty quickly. The two boys went off to play on the various contraptions, swings, fountains and all, and I sat with our infant and read the daily office. With all the turmoil that is going on in the Anglican Communion, and all the turmoil in our political life here in our country, I sometimes miss the moment that is before me and I miss the beauty and wondrous presence of God in the everyday stuff of life. I began this blog being motivated by the sense of the sacred indwelling the so-called secular, the so-called ordinary. My own understanding of the Incarnation is that God is present with us, and, as Michael Ramsey wrote often, the nearness of God is palpable and real, if only we have the senses to know it.

As I sat and watched my kids and the various other children play in the playground, as I read the words of the Daily Office, as I enjoyed the beautiful morning, I found myself praying for those in need, also (even!) for those people at Gafcon (and, bless you if you don't know what that is), for those people I went to seminary with who have already left The Episcopal Church for CANA or AMIA, and also for the people in the nearby communities in the city of New York City. The moment is a beautiful moment, if only we have eyes to see it. I pray that we all might slow down to see and hear and taste the good things that God has done for us, and out of this knowledge we might carry this good news to the world.

The Rev. Peter Carey

2 comments:

it's margaret said...

hey Peter,

Glad to see you doing well. You are in my prayers daily. Miss seeing you.

Your posts have been interesting... on the necessary things for the ordination process, you spoke mainly to the political process and not the spiritual process. I was surprised you had no mention of daily prayer! Nor community! So, I was glad today to see you soaking in the daily prayer.

As to your recommended reading list, what! No girls!? (ribbing you dude!) And don't forget the poets, say, like Mary Oliver!

Really miss you guys here. VBS is going well --tonight is the last night.

AND --please include me on your banned list.... loved it!

Many blessings --and here's to the Incarnation friend!

--margaret

Peter Carey said...

Margaret, thanks. Hey, when you commented on the ordination process stuff, you realize that I was linking to another guy's post...the "Ember Days" blog...
I think you are right on when it comes to prayer!
I am reading some great Michael Ramsey Right now and am about to tackle a huge Bonhoeffer biography (I am pumped!)
And the reading list was another link to someone else...good point, I realized there were no women!