Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pre-Seminary Reading List from Inhabitatio Dei

I found this posting by Halden over at Inhabitatio Dei to be excellent, and got me thinking about Pre (and Post!) - Seminary Reading...!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Pre-Seminary Reading List

Recently I was asked by a friend who is going to seminary in the next year or so to give him a list of theological books that I would recommend for reading prior to seminary. Here’s what I gave him. I can’t help but wonder how much better off I would have been if I had read these books before I started seminary.

  • Rowan Williams, Resurrection; The Wound of Knowledge
  • Alan Lewis, Between Cross and Resurrection
  • David Bentley Hart, The Beauty of the Infinite
  • Robert Jenson, Systematic Theology I & II; The Triune Identity; Story and Promise
  • Stanley Hauerwas, The Peaceable Kingdom; A Community of Character
  • John Howard Yoder, The Politics of Jesus; The Priestly Kingdom
  • Lesslie Newbigin, The Gospel in a Pluralist Society; The Household of God
  • Colin Gunton, The One, The Three, and the Many
  • William Cavanaugh, Torture and Eucharist; Theopolitical Imagination
  • James Torrance, Worship, Community, and the Triune God of Grace
  • Hans Urs von Balthasar, Love Alone is Credible; Mysterium Paschale
  • Chris Huebner, A Precarious Peace
  • John Milbank, Theology and Social Theory
  • Richard Hays, The Moral Vision of the New Testament
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Sanctorum Communio; Discipleship; Ethics
  • Karl Barth, Evangelical Theology; Dogmatics in Outline

Of course, these books are really just some of the ones that I have found particularly formative and which have shaped my vision in a significant way. They are not necessarily the most important theological books ever written, though I think they are some of the most helpful in terms of shaping the kind of theological vision I think the New Testament calls for.

No comments: